Monday 9 April 2012

Travelling across the East coast of the US, 1963




We landed in Boston and were taken to a campus where hundreds of other youths had arrived from other destinations. As my English was better than the others, right from the start I had to play the role of translator. I had just completed my BA in English and was one of the best students in the class. Nevertheless, when we arrived in the US I understood how little I knew of the language. But I was a fast learner and quickly managed to understand and speak with the American accent.


During our journey, we travelled more than 800 miles mostly by bus. It was decided that we stayed with families who already had our life history and chosen us to be their adopted child for the period of one month to a week. In Rochester, in the State of New York we were scheduled to stay for a whole month. I was welcomed at the bus station by a Mrs Spies who was my "mother" and at home and was introduced to her husband and daughter, Carol who was my age: 21.


Their son was away in a campus so I saw him just as I was leaving the family. The Spies were middle class Americans. Very kind and hospitable. They treated me as their daughter and took me everywhere they went.


Mrs Spies asked me to call her mother which I did and soon Carol and I felt like sisters and enjoyed each others company so much that worried Mother and at the end wanted to know why Carol didn't want to see her boyfriend and spent so much time with me!


However, the one photo shows dear Carol and I. the next photo was taken at a party they called "Shower". I am sitting on the floor on the right and Carol is in the middle. "Shower" was held fpr brides where every one brough presents and womken gathered to view them and celebrate.


"Mother" often took me to her club where she played gulf. I had to sit and watch her and sometimes just doze off. We drove to places in Carol's car and once went to a amusement park where I rode one of those crazy machijnes and decided not to ever do it again. Carol and I corresponded with each other for alomst 3 years after I returned. After that our communication stopped and I never heard of her again although I went to the US on many occasions.

No comments: