Sunday 15 August 2010

Another townhall occasion


Another occasion in the townhall. In the first picture from the left, Aliakbar Saidi Sirjani our Persian literature teacher, Bam's governor and me. The governor gave me a certificate for reciting poetry and I am leaving the scene.
The second picture is taken while the three of us are performing in front of the audience. My hair is quite short and my uniform a different style. It must have been my last year at high school which was 1959.
I must add a few word about Saidi Sirjani. In mid-1950s he came to Bam from Tehran after he finished his literature degree at the university and was employed as Persian literature teacher. He was a poet and while at the university, he fell in love with a fellow student and wrote passionate poetry about her. He was almost (or certainly) kicked out of university for the scandal he created in the 1950s Tehran. After a few years teaching in Bam he returned to Tehran, still a mad poet who later married and became a distinuguished poet/writer in Iran. After the Iranian revolution as a critique of the regime he was imprisoned and murdered while in custody.

No comments: