Thursday 20 August 2009

My aunt's house in Bam


This is the most interesting photos of all. Taken in Bam in the courtyard of my aunt's house, from left standing: aunt Iran, her younger sister-in-law Eshrat and the older sister-in-law Showkat.
Sitting: left my grandmother Bibi Atieh and my aunt's mother-in-law Bibi Sadjadi. all seem to have dressed for an occasion. As long as I remember, Bibi Sadjadi used to shave her eyebrows and use eyebrow pencil instead. She had thin, dark lips because of addiction to opium. This picture was taken in the early 1950s. Behind them is an orange tree which I remember vividely and the big pond in the middle of the courtyard. The many rooms where my aunt, grandma and her mother-in-law lived are set around the courtyard. The corridor behind Showkat led to the back of the house which was an orange and palm grove in the middle of which ran a brook whose origins were the subterranian waters in the deserts surrounding Bam. The 2 photos below: Left: my aunt Iran's mother -in-law and Showkat khanum her daughter. Right: Mr Sadjadi and two sisters: Showkat and Eshrat khanums.
T

No comments: