Friday 22 July 2011

A curtain lifted in my life!



At college I got more confident as time passed. Year one finished and grandma and I returned to Kerman via bus, the same way we did almost a year before. She went to stay with aunt Iran as she always did and I went to see my family in our resort Dalfard, in the mountains north of Jiroft. Mum would not let me out of her sight as she wanted to see more of this daughter who had separated from her at the age of 12. During the summer 1961 I talked to mum and my father and convinced them to let me take Simin, my younger sister with me to Tehran.
By then I was well adjusted into student life in Tehran. I promised I will take care of her and I did. By then Simin was living in Kerman with mum's uncle for her 10th grade of high school. I remember that the bus arrived in Tehran bus station located in the crowded southern section in the middle of night. It was impossible to go to cousin Nahid khanum at that time although my belongings were there. I asked for a room in the bus station and the manager took us to a room upstairs his offices where there were beds. Tired as we were I pushed one bed to the door for safety and we slept for a few hours. At 6 in the morning I got a taxi and we went to the cousin's house which I knew we were not welcome. I left Simin there and went to the college to find my friend Akhtar and together we found a small apartment near the college, where she had rented a flat as well. I went back in haste, took our belongings and Simin to the new place and there she started her life in the Capital. Later, I registered her name at Shahdokht High School where she finished her secondary school 2 years later and prepared for university. Next year, I brought my 15 year old brother, Manouchehr with me and mothered them both for many years. He was a hard working teenager who got the best marks at school although he had had an accident a year before which hospitalised him for 6 months and gave him maningithis which ultimately killed him at the age of 36 at the prime of him life. But that would be then.

No comments: