Friday 22 July 2011

We made a big effort to impress the boys in the college!



A photo of me and Rouhi Salahshour who came from the southern city of Ahwaz to study. The photo was taken in Ocatober 1961. We girls all competed with eachother to do our hair, to buy new materials to make dresses. There were no boutiques or dress shops in Tehran at the time to have ready made designer clothes as today. We either had to give the material to the tailor or do the tailoring ourselves. As we were all students with little money, we all knew a bit of tailoring and often satyed late at night to make a top or skirt. Trousers were not common as they are now not until the 1970s. However, we spent hours with rollers on our hair making a dress. You can see our fashionable hair and outfit in all the photos. I suppose it was mostly to impress the boys who we fancied. The boy I fancied used to and I suppose he fancied me was from the city of Tabriz in the Turkish region of Iran. We were in the same class in my first term of college where I was the only female among the class. But then when I changed subject and transferred to the English department he stopped talking to me. Well, that was the end of my platonic affair but not the end of my fashion craze for nice dress and hair style.

No comments: